Friday, August 8, 2008

The world's most amazing squash squashed!

Fall's getting close and the garden's finally starting to pay off. I'm still eating grapes and expect there to be more varieties ripening over the next few weeks. The first round of peaches are gone and I got to eat a few.

Now the sweet corn is ready. I think we'll pick most of it this weekend and freeze what we don't use right away. Some of the ears have minor damage near the end from beetles but nothing that can't be trimmed off.



Still, I'm convinced gardening isn't worth it. I could have bought half a dozen peaches, a bunch of grapes, and a bushel of corn and been ahead.

The mystery vine growing along the house will probably remain a mystery. The only fruit growing on the vine was torn off of the vine yesterday. The details are sketchy but I know it involved an unsupervised toddler who, I was told, meant no harm.



It might have just been a boring old pumpkin. On the other hand, it might have been a new, undiscovered variety of cancer curing, anti-aging, unlimited fuel supply, high temperature superconductor squash. Now we'll never know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your blog so I am glad you have had the garden to blog about. It's not like you ever invite us to visit or anything :)

Anonymous said...

In defense of the toddler... he was supervised and it was accidental. Daddy's just a little grumpy.

RDC said...

Contagious: I enjoy your blog too. Sorry to hear about the hair.


Wife(anonymous): He never tore anything off any vine when he was with me.

Cicero Paine said...

He who shares my name cannot be blamed - clearly he was simply there when a very small meteorite fell from the sky and cut the vine.

Anyway this is the story I heard.