Sunday, July 27, 2008

Why gardening might not be for me

I know this electrician. He owns his own business and spends most of his time working alongside his electricians on job sites. I supervise a crew of maintenance mechanics is several trades and spend most of my time on different sites getting my hands dirty too.

He told me a story about his neighbor that has gotten me thinking about my gardening.

His neighbor comes home every day and spends an hour or more tending his lawn. Mowing, spraying, moving paving stones, shoveling mulch, hand pulling dandelions, and probably lots of other stuff. My friend has a perfectly acceptable lawn but not nearly as immaculate as his neighbor's.

So the two bump into each other one weekend while working on their lawns. The neighbor starts giving my friend lawn care tips. He tells my friend how to kill the weeds, how to a little fertilizer would help, and that a load of mulch would take care of the weeds growing up around the shrubs.

My friend tells his neighbor "You spend your day sitting down behind your desk in your office and when you get home you want to spend your evening doing something with your hands and getting dirty. I spend my day working with my hands and getting dirty. When I get home I want to spend my evening sitting down."

No comments: