Saturday, June 21, 2008

Mystery Wilt

It was suggested that my tomatoes have Fusarium wilt, a fungus, and that's why they're looking bad. I did some reading and I don't think that's what I have. It could be, I'm not a plant pathologist and I don't have a lab but it doesn't look like the pictures and description on the net.

With fusarium wilt, the fungus moves into the plant through the roots and is does damage to the tissues in the stem that transport water and nutrients. There should be visible dark spots between the woody inner layer of the stem and the outer layer. Since they're in bad shape, I cut a couple down and looked inside. No dark spots.


no black spots


Although the whole plant just looks sickly, the tips of the new leaves look the worst and this doesn't seem like fusarium either.



mystery wilt


Just in case, I wanted to spray something. It seems like the right thing to do so I gave everything a good coat of Daconil fungicide. Hopefully I can stop whatever this is from spreading.

So I don't know what's really wrong but as long as it doesn't spread to other plants the point is now moot. I pulled the bad tomatoes out and bought a couple of nice big tomato plants yesterday at the garden center. These got planted at the other end of the garden so they don't get the same disease. So now I've got two plants instead of seven but I don't like tomatoes anyway so two is plenty.



new tomatoes, not dead yet


In other garden news: I couldn't' find any cucumber plants last weekend to replace my dead ones. I got lucky and found some yesterday while looking for tomatoes. I've finished the cucumber trellis and should have enough for pickles now.



cucumber trellis


The bush type peas in the garden didn't do very well. We got a few pods but they never really took off. I've had trouble with peas before. The vine type peas did well on their trellis and are just about done. If we want any more peas, we had better pick them in the next few days.



peas


I personally don't want any peas and I can't imagine anybody else going out to pick any so I guess we won't have to eat any peas. Peas are pretty bad, even for vegetables. My daughter ate a few pea pods when they were smaller with ranch dressing and like them that way. They don't have much flavor when they're small pods so the pods were really just a ranch dressing delivery system and I can appreciate that but now that they actually taste like peas, I'll pass.



peas


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Gardner, I have noted that there are a lot a veggies that you grow that you don't like. You should try cooking them as a part of dish. Peas are excellent in rice and with mac and cheese. Don't you like tomato sauce or salsa or minestrone soup?

Cicero Paine said...

I stand corrected regarding fusilarium wilt, mine displayed much the same external symptoms as yours last last year - but also the internal - which I failed to ask regarding yours.

Could this be a soil issue instead?

Keith said...

The close up of the new shoots on your problem tomato plant look to be either a virus or (ironically) chemical injury. Have you or anyone around you sprayed 2,4-D nearby? It could also be from a low dose of glyphosate. The leaf cupping and buggy-whipping (yes, that's an actual term!) of the shoots are characteristics of virus and/or certain chemical injuries.

RDC said...

Bijou Frise said...Mr. Gardner, I have noted that there are a lot a veggies that you grow that you don't like. You should try cooking them as a part of dish. Peas are excellent in rice and with mac and cheese...

Adding veggies to other foods sounds like peeing in the soup.

The Scarlet Knight said...Could this be a soil issue instead?

It could be anything. Keith Dickinson (with the cleaver nom de plume below) thinks
I poisoned them.

Keith Dickinson said...The close up of the new shoots on your problem tomato plant look to be either a virus or (ironically) chemical injury. Have you or anyone around you sprayed 2,4-D nearby? It could also be from a low dose of glyphosate. The leaf cupping and buggy-whipping (yes, that's an actual term!) of the shoots are characteristics of virus and/or certain chemical injuries.

I think I can rule out 2,4-D since I didn't spray any and if I got any drift from nearby I'd have more than wilted tomatoes. And I don't use "low doses".

Thank you all for the help.