Friday, June 6, 2008

Random Summer Stuff

June's here, it's hot, and things are happening in the garden. The peaches are going through June Drop. That's when peaches fall off in June. Last year, I lost everything in June but this year, only the small peaches are falling off...so far. The peaches this year are also much bigger than they were last year. Most of the peaches are an inch across and last year they looked like almonds.

Everything got fertilizer this morning. Hopefully that will kick some of my slower stuff into gear like the peppers, cucumbers, and tomatoes.

We've had a lot of rain in the past week. That's good it's less irrigation for me. We had a couple of rainy days, a few thunder storms and I've lost track but it was nearly 3 inches overall and may have been more.



The strawberries are just about done. We had so many that we didn't even pick them all. There are a few still ripening but the ripe ones are pretty small and not nearly as sweet as the first couple of rounds.


Strawberries no bigger than my thumbnail


I've got 3 decent sized heads of broccoli to cut today. Last year, the broccoli was at least twice as big as it is this year before it started producing heads. Maybe I've got a different variety, maybe the weather was different.




I'm waiting for the rhubarb. I've never grown rhubarb before but I've read that the stalks should turn red in late spring or early summer. I'm still waiting. A few stalks are slightly reddish but certainly not red. I've got a recipe I want to try. I had assumed that rhubarb and strawberries would be ready at just about the same time since the famous rhubarb recipe is strawberry rhubarb pie.


Big rhubarb, bigger asparagus, and strawberries


My hanging basket tomato experiment hasn't done much. I moved it to a location where it will get sun for half the day but there's no place on the porch where it can get full sun. It's trying very hard to grow up instead of down.




The apples are growing apples. I have been skeptical about these 5 in 1 apple tree grafts since I bought them 3 or 4 years ago. Gimmicks don't usually work out very well. It seems like I'll have at least 3 different varieties this year.




The white powder on the apple leaves is a fungicide. Fruit trees need a lot of spraying to make nice shiny fruit.

And finally, I'll sign off with a game called "find the pea pod".


Find the Pea Pod.

No comments: