Sunday, May 25, 2008

Upside Down Tomato

I've read about this and decided to give it a try. I picked up a patio cherry tomato plant this morning and a hanging basket. I drilled a 1-1/4" hole in the bottom of the hanging basket with a hole saw and made my own hanger for it since the one that came with it was nearly 18" long.




I then planted the tomato upside down in the basket so it's sticking out the bottom of the pot. This is supposed to grow normally, just upside down and produce tomatoes like any other plant.

I'm not exactly sure what "patio" tomato means but this one is determinate, which means it will grow to a certain size and stop growing. Most garden tomatoes are indeterminate and they will continue to get bigger as long as the weather is good. It seemed like a determinate tomato plant makes more sense growing in a hanging basket.

Another garden experiment brought to you by GardenerX

1 comment:

Cicero Paine said...

What is the status on this experiment? Your loyal readers want to know.